Writing great copy doesn’t have to be a painful experience. It’s important to remember that you are the authority on your product and no one can tell its story better than you. The best copy creates a lifestyle around the product and doesn’t just give information to people, but it encourages them to comment and engage with you on how they intend to use your products.
First off, be creative and have fun. This is your chance to shine. Be conversational and tell the customers how you were inspired. Let your followers know what makes your product so unique and a must-have. If you’re in style, tell everyone why it’s on-trend or what it’s great to pair with. If you sell kitchen & food products, tell how your product enriches a cooking or dining experience. You could even throw in your favorite recipe to use your product with. Explain how to use the product and give any tips or tricks on how to make the most out of your products—share your expertise.
Some tips and tricks to keep in mind when writing your copy:
- Always put yourself in the customer’s shoes and think about what you would need to know in order to make a purchase.
- Keep it short, sweet and personal.
- Be specific about content, materials and sizes/dimensions; for example, if you sell necklaces, be sure to put the length of the chain, all materials and even what kind of clasp is included. Never assume that anything is obvious.
- Be consistent –no matter if you use first, second or third person, stay consistent through every offer.
- Always read your copy out loud.
- Do not edit until the end.
- What makes your product a must-have over similar products—mention the unique details—how will this product make the customer’s life easier? Or how will it make their wardrobe more trendy/versatile?
- Be romantic. Remember that you are painting a lifestyle picture for the customer. Whether it’s creating a designer living room, living healthy, cooking like a pro or getting glowing skin, turn your product into a must-have.
- Have fun with it and let your brand personality shine.
Example 1: Ceramic Knives
Ceramic knives can be used for all kitchen uses. Available in many colors.
Look no further, these top-of-the-line knives were not only crafted with love by top industry chefs, they’re crafted from ceramic. Imagine your knives delivering a perfect slice every time. Did you know ceramic blades hold their razor sharp edge ten times longer than your average blade? You don’t have to be a Top Chef to prep your kitchen like a pro. Happy dicing!
Example 2: Dotted Baking Cups
Dotted baking cups to be used for baking or entertaining. Fill with any treats and serve.
Give your next get-together a sense of whimsy with these pretty yet sturdy polka dotted paper cups. They’re perfect for bridal showers, brunches, and inspired kids’ birthday parties. Your guests will be delighted to see them on your tabletop in lieu of ordinary bowls or ramekins. Fill the cups with cookies, candies, or savory treats.
When you’re writing your product details, focus on listing enough information to answer any questions a potential customer might have. Give them confidence to shop by answering all their questions before they're even asked. Here are few areas that would be great to touch on:
- Country of origin
- Care instructions
- Colors (describe the actual colors of the product)
- Hardware (pockets, zippers, etc...)
- Exact contents of product (quantity, included accessories, chargers, applicators, etc...)
Here's an example that you can reference that covers all the bases: